Ancient ways of hospitality welcome you.
The name Maricopa is most appropriate for The Manor. It is the name of a Native American tribe that inhabited these lands together with the Pima (River People) long before the Apache, the Spanish, the Mexican or the Anglos settled here.
For many centuries the Maricopas and the Pimas were well known to all those who traveled through the Sonoran desert along the Gila and Salt Rivers. They extended generous hospitality and a place to rest with ample supplies of food from their irrigated fields. They were a peace-loving, honest and generous people who defended their lands and the early pioneers from the Apache raiders. The "River People" are believed to be the descendants of the pre-historic Ho Ho Kam people who settled and cultivated the Valley of the Sun from about 700 to 1400 AD. The Maricopas now live on the Salt River Reservation east of Scottsdale.
The Spanish name we have given to The Manor and its adjoining two homes, is Dos Casas (Two Houses). This name was adopted from the name given to the first permanent residence built in the Valley in 1867 by Jack Swilling, who developed the modern irrigation system from the remains of the ancient Ho Ho Kam settlement. Jack is recognized as the founder and father of Phoenix, and the early settlers knew him for his warm hospitality. Jack and his wife, Trinidad Escalante Swilling, opened their doors and their hearts to many a weary traveler.
B.J. and Naomi Showers (pictured) built the two bedroom Manor house in 1928 and raised three boys there. The Kelley family, coming from Georgia, purchased the Showers' home and the adjoining house in 1970. In this family compound Mary Ellen and Paul raised their children and provided a home for an extended family of close relatives, foster children, and foreign exchange students. In 1989 the old homestead and adjoining two guesthouses were converted into the first, and continue to be, the only bed and breakfast inn approved and licensed by the City of Phoenix. Since 1974 it has been expanded, remodeled, and redecorated six times, most recently in 2006-2007.
In 2000 the Kelleys retired and sold The Manor to Jeff Vadheim, a Phoenix family physician originally from Minnesota who had retired early after 25 years of practice to pursue his interests of antiques, collectibles, foreign languages, travel, and hospitality. Only the second owner of this landmark Inn, Jeff, his staff, and orange tabby outdoor guard cat Dreamsicle continue to greet travellers into 2010.
On Jan 1, 2010, Scott and Joan Eveland of Waukesha, Wisconsin took over ownership of The Manor to fulfill a long time dream of running an Arizona inn and being close to their two grandchildren. Just as the Maricopa and Pima tribes, the Swillings and the Kelleys did before us, we will continue to offer the Southwestern traditions of warm hospitality to travelers to the Valley of the Sun uninterrupted for the past 21 years.